Sunday, December 7, 2008

I Feel Old!


Today, Oldest Kid turns 9 years old.

Where the hell did that time go?

Seriously, it seems like just yesterday that I went into labor with the little squirt, petrified of the pain and all that jazz, worried he'd be really small because he was 3 weeks early, and worried I'd have to settle for my MIL as my labor coach, because Hubby was working out of town and my mother was a basketcase. Thank goodness, Hubby made it in time and Oldest Kid was a little 5lbs. 13oz., but healthy as can be. Oh, and it labor wasn't all that bad with him. Now, my daughter, she's another story, but I digress...

I just can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact that I have a 9 year old child. Yes, I know how old I am...I know the numbers add up and all that. But, holy crap, I have a child that will be shooting a gun in 3 years (12 years old in WI). He'll be driving a car in 7 years. And I'll have to worry about girls somewhere in the middle. It's just...unfathomable. I mean...I certainly don't feel old enough to have had a child almost a decade ago.

Gawd. It's pretty freakin' depressing. I mean...I'm a mom. And not a young one anymore either. For cripes sake, my kid is halfway to gone and I feel like he just got here. Sigh.

I can only imagine how I'm going to feel next year when he turns 10. It'll be worse than turning 30 myself, I just know it. :(

Mom or not, do you ever take a step back, look at your life, and disbelieve that it's your own? Do you ever have a hard time grasping the reality of your age and how much time has gone by since you were actually as young as you feel you are? Reassure me, people!!

0 comments: