Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A-Campin' We Will Go...

So, we're camping again this weekend. But while I was absolutely dreading the adventure on Memorial Day, I am pretty excited about this trip. I'm not much for roughing it in general--I like to pee without having to worry about spiders, thank you very much--but I've decided that spending days out in the middle of the woods, out of the house, away from the phone, away from work...is pretty much the best thing ever. I mean, I'm more or less stuck in the house, I'd say, about 24/6 with kids, both my own and the ones I watch. It's no wonder the walls feel like they're closing in most days! I need space...and air...and quiet. Even if it means cringing in fear and whimpering like a baby every time I have to pee.


Anyhow, since I didn't get a lick of writing done last time and I think I might have read a whopping four pages, I'm downsizing my goodie bag this weekend. This time, instead of toting the Alphie, a bunch of paper and all my favorite pens, and seven or so books, I'm only bringing with me the two books in this post, Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella and The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. I just got both in the mail and I've yet to read either of the authors, though I'm excited as heck because both have gotten some fabulous reviews, and frankly, after a year or so of reading a bunch of crap I mistakenly thought I wanted to write, I could use some quality, you know?



I'm wondering if you've read either of these authors? These books perhaps? What'd you think? Will I be glad I brought them along or would you recommend I grab another book or two as back-up?
Thanks! Hope your Fourth of July weekend is as fabulous as I plan on mine being!

4 comments:

The Girl You Used to Know said...

I Loved Remember Me! I listened to it on Audio and laughed my butt off. Great book. You'll get a hoot out of the phrase "loft-style living"!

Anonymous said...

I've read all of her "Sopaholic" Books and "Domestic Goddess" (Kinsella) and will say that I loved them all. She is a laugh out loud author with great characters. I think you will really like her. Have a great 4th of July!!

Rachel Hawkins said...

I read 3 of the Shopaholic books before I was like, "Bitch, stop putting things on your credit card! Damn!" ;) But up until that point, I really liked them, and I thought The Undomestic Goddess was fabulous. I also read Sarah Addison Allen's 1st book, Garden of Spells, just last week, and I LOVED it! Easily one of the best books I read this year. The Sugar Queen sounds great, so let me know if you think it is! Have fun camping!

Anonymous said...

I only managed one Kinsella book, the first Shopaholic... I thought it was hilarious, but not my usual genre taste. I think I may need to broaden my horizons yet again and step outside of the reading box I am in.